The NHS is now offering vaccinations to people who are most at risk from Covid-19.
Vaccinations are continuing to be offered to people in the priority groups identified by the Joint Committee of Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
Groups of GP practices are working together to provide vaccines from local centres and in care homes, and our trust is a hospital vaccination hub offering vaccines for frontline health and care workers in Wakefield.
We know lots of people will be eager to get protected but you will be invited for a vaccine when it’s your turn so please do not contact your practice or the NHS for an appointment, unless you are aged 55 or over, in which case you can book an appointment through the national booking service without waiting for a letter or by calling 119. This will be extended to people in cohort 9 (50-54) over the next few weeks.
Everyone else will still need to wait to be contacted by the NHS when it is their turn for a vaccination.
Please note that vaccinations are free of charge and only available through the NHS. Anyone who claims to be able to provide you with a vaccine for a fee is likely to be committing a crime and should be reported to the Police online or by calling 112. The NHS will never ask you to press a button on your keypad or send a text asking you to confirm you want the vaccine.
Following extensive trials, the first safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have been approved in the UK and the NHS is offering vaccines to those who are at most risk from COVID-19.
This is the the largest vaccination programme in the history of the NHS and you can really help us to deliver it to those that need it most by doing the following:
- Please don’t contact the NHS to seek a vaccine - we will contact you when it’s the right time.
- When we do contact you, please act immediately and make sure you attend your appointments.
- Please continue to follow all the guidelines – hand hygiene and social distancing in particular – to control the virus and save lives.
For more information about the vaccine, please see these useful resources below
You can also visit www.nhs.uk or download the patient information leaflets on the following topics, which are available on the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Health and Care Partnership website.
- COVID-19 vaccination – a guide for adults
- COVID-19 vaccination – a guide for those currently pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding
- What to expect after your COVID-19 vaccination
- Why do I have to wait for my COVID-19 vaccine?