Welcome to the Dermatology department page. Please click on the links below for information on our Dermatology service:
Dermatology is a medical speciality which diagnoses and treats diseases of the skin, hair and nails.
We provide a wide range of services for patients including:
- The diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer
- The treatment of general dermatological diseases such as acne, eczema and psoriasis which your GP is finding difficult to manage.
- Allergy testing in patients who’s skin is reacting to common environmental allergens
- Cosmetic camouflage in patients with scars or skin altering conditions
- Consultant led hair clinics
- Paediatric eczema nurse led clinics
- Minor surgery
- Pinderfields Hospital - Ashton Centre
- Pontefract Hospital - Friarwood Building
- Dewsbury & District Hospital - Boothroyd Centre
Our team across the three sites consists of highly trained professionals who are specialists in Dermatology. The department has six consultants, a number of nurses, some of whom are nurse prescribers, surgical operators and specialist eczema nurses. We also have two skin cancer nurse specialists who work closely with consultants and patients in the treatment and management of skin cancer. We are supported by an excellent team of secretaries and receptionists.
We also work with a community service called Novus. This is a service run by GPs in the community, where GPs with an interest in dermatology may see you in the first instance in a surgery in the community. If they cannot diagnose or treat your problem, you will be referred to our dermatology department for further help and advice.
You will have been referred by your GP into the department through the choose and book service. Alternatively, you may have been referred into the service by Novus or another community service. On some occasions you may have been referred to us by another hospital specialist.
To contact our Dermatology department please ring 01924 541000.
As patients it is important that you are as well informed as possible about your condition and treatments you may receive. The British Association of Dermatology website has a comprehensive range of information leaflets about the many different dermatological conditions and the treatments we can use. Please click on the link to access these.
We have also listed some of our own information leaflets on things such as skin surgery and our skin cancer nurse specialist service which we hope you will find helpful.
The skin cancer specialist nursing service. [pdf] 138KB
Skin surgery - things you may like to know.[pdf] 142KB