Please click on the links below for information on Endocrinology (hormones):
The Endocrinology service provides diagnosis and treatment for hormone disorders and conditions, including:
- Pituitary disorders
- Thyroid (hypo and hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodules)
- Parathyroids (hypo and hyperparathyroidism)
- Adrenals (Addison's disease, Cushing's and Conn's syndromes)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Other, less common endocrine disorders.
The Endocrinology Department’s Clinical Nurse Specialist coordinates and monitors replacement growth hormone, testosterone therapy and other treatments, supervises radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism and carries out endocrine tests at Pinderfields Hospital.
Endocrinology services are offered at all three of our hospitals:
Dewsbury and District Hospital – Diabetes Centre, Staincliffe Wing
Pinderfields Hospital – Edna Coates Diabetes and Endocrine Unit
- Pontefract Hospital – Diabetes Centre, New Friarwood House
Each of our specially equipped Diabetes Centres offers the following:
- Consulting rooms
- Dedicated areas for retinal screening and podiatry
- Waiting areas for patients
- Disabled access.
Facilities for endocrine tests and research activity are available at Pinderfields Hospital Edna Coates Diabetes and Endocrine Unit.
Dewsbury and District Hospital– Tuesday morning (Dr Freeman) and Friday morning (Dr Rajeswaran).
Pinderfields Hospital – Tuesday and Wednesday morning for new referrals (Dr D'Costa, Dr Jenkins, Dr Munir, Dr Nagi, Dr Prabhakar) and Friday morning for review patients.
- Pontefract Hospital – Tuesday morning (Dr Jenkins).
Simon Holmes, Clinical Nurse Specialist in Endocrinology, Pinderfields Hospital:
Tel: 01924 213905
You may find the following websites helpful:
British Thyroid Foundation www.btf-thyroid.org
Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust www.tedct.co.uk
The Pituitary Foundation www.pituitary.org.uk
Addison's Disease Self Help Group www.addisons.org.uk
Premature Menopause Support Group www.daisynetwork.org.uk
Hyperparathyroidism UK www.hpth.org.uk
Klinefelters Syndrome Association www.ksa-uk.net