The latest Met Office forecasts predict that there is a 70% probability of heatwave conditions between 6pm today and 9am on Thursday (15 September) in parts of England. More details about the weather alert are available on the MET Office website.
This means that we all need to take extra care to protect our own health and that of our families.
The latest advice from Public Health England on keeping safe in the heat is:
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
- Apply sunscreen of at least SPF15 with UVA protection
- Wear UV sunglasses, preferably wraparound, to reduce UV exposure to the eyes
- Wear light, loose-fitting cotton clothes, a hat and a light scarf
- Drink lots of cool drinks
- Look out for others especially vulnerable groups such as older people, young children and babies and those with serious illnesses
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicles, especially infants, young children or animals