Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield, is the main centre for people who are seriously ill. It is a designated Major Trauma Unit, where urgent and emergency surgery is carried out and has a helicopter landing site close to the Emergency Department.
The hospital is also home to the Yorkshire Regional Spinal Injuries Centre (YRSIC), one of 12 specialist spinal injury centres in the United Kingdom. The 32 bed unit admits approximately 120 newly injured patients each year.
In addition, we have a Regional Adult’s Burns Centre and Regional Children’s Burns Unit, which serve a population of approximately 3.5 million people across West, North and East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire, serviced by 19 emergency departments and managing over 150 patients every year - often with major and life-threatening burns – as well as 1,800 outpatients.
Amongst other services Pinderfields also provides:
- Specialist Medical care for people with heart, lung and gastro-intestinal problems
- Specialist care for older people
- Complex planned surgery
- Planned short stay & day surgery
- Outpatient clinics
- Midwife and consultant led birthing choices
- All inpatient care for children
- A specialist neonatal unit
- A specialist cancer unit