Plastic, reconstructive and hand surgery
Please click on the links below for information about plastic, reconstructive and hand surgery:
Plastic and reconstructive surgery involves restoring or improving ‘form and function’ using a variety of surgical techniques.
The Mid Yorks plastic surgery service treats patients with varying medical and surgical conditions including:
General plastic surgery
- Soft tissue trauma and infections
- Facial plastic surgery including rhinoplasty
- Post bariatric surgery (after gastic banding, gastric bypass) including abdominoplasty, body lift, thigh lift etc
- Breast reduction, breast augmentation, breast asymmetry
- Scar revision
- Pressure sores
- Acute burns
- Burns Reconstruction
- Hand trauma including tendon, nerve, vessel injuries and fracture fixation
- Dupuytrens contracture
- Nerve compression syndromes
- Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the hand and wrist.
Congenital (Paediatric) Plastic Surgery
- Congenital ear deformities including prominent ears
- Congenital naevi (moles), haemangiomas, vascular malformations and other skin lesions
- Non-melanoma skin cancer (eg BCC, SCC, others)
Post mastectomy breast reconstruction
The plastic surgery department is based at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield. Outpatient clinics are run daily in the main outpatient department. The department also has the use of its own Plastic Surgery Dressing Clinic where patients can be assessed and reviewed by specialist nursing and medical staff. Ward 28 is the plastic surgery ward providing 12 inpatient beds (the majority being single rooms with en-suite WC and shower.) Day-surgery patients attend Ward 40 for their daycase surgery.
Outpatient plastic surgery clinics also take place at Dewsbury Hospital and Pontefract Hospital.
Daycase operating lists also take place at Pontefract Hospital.
The plastic surgery department provides a 24-hour service for emergency referrals and inpatients.