Research Passport

resaerch passport pic The Research Passport system is a process for NHS employees in other trusts or academic sector employees wishing to undertake research at The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

All individuals wishing to carry out research that involves Trust premises, staff or patients must check if they require contractual cover from the Trust and, if so, what type of cover is required.

If Mid Yorks is your substantive employer, or you have an honorary clinical contract with The Trust, then you are already eligible to carry out research within The Trust (provided the project has received the necessary ethical and local confirmation of capacity and capability).

  • Individuals whose substantive employer is another NHS Trust will be issued with a Letter of Access to cover their work. This includes NHS employees who are also registered for a postgraduate degree. Their employer will provide an NHS to NHS Confirmation of Pre-engagement Checks letter (template on NIHR Research Passport website). The researcher sends this letter including CV and GCP training certificate to RM&S team:
  • Non-NHS employed individuals and postgraduate students must apply for a Research Passport using the NIHR form. The Research Passport, together with CV and GCP training certificate, is sent to the Mid Yorks RM&S department. The passport must contain information about the type of research activity (risk to patients), pre-engagement checks, DBS and occupational health clearance and access to which Mid Yorks facilities is required. Depending on the level of risk to patients, either a Letter of Access (no likely impact on diagnosis or treatment, with access to patients, identifiable patient data, patient tissue or access to NHS staff) or an Honorary Research Contract (impact on diagnosis and treatment) will be issued and sent to the researcher
  • In some cases, additional pre-engagement checks may be required before an individual can be offered an honorary contract by Mid Yorks
  • If you are a Mid Yorks employee and plan to conduct research in other NHS trusts, please pre-complete the NHS to NHS confirmation of pre-engagement checks and send it together with your CV and GCP certificate to

For further information regarding the Research Passport process, please email