Spiritual and Holistic Care
Please click one of the links below for more information on spiritual and holistic care services:
Coming into hospital can be difficult for many people. Questions and anxieties arise that we are not faced with in our everyday lives. The Trust’s Chaplaincy team works alongside patients, their families and carers and staff to provide spiritual and religious care during these times of need and uncertainty.
We are here to help whether a person has a specific faith or not – our interest is in the whole person and their life. We offer a range of Spiritual and Holistic Healthcare, including:
- Regular visits to wards/units to meet with patients/carers/staff
- A confidential listening presence to complement medical and nursing care
- A relationship that may help find meaning and purpose within the present life experience
- A point of contact with the appropriate faith community
- Christian and Muslim worship and prayers in the hospital chapels and Prayer Rooms
- Holy Communion at the bedside by request
- Staff training in spiritual, religious and cultural awareness; spiritual aspect of palliative care; understanding and dealing with grief and loss; an audit and E-learning tool: 'Who Cares?' on the simplicity and breadth of spiritual and holistic healthcare
- Bereavement support to those who have lost a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death
- 24-hour on-call service including out-of-hours cover for emergencies via hospital switchboards.
Dewsbury and District Hospital, Faith Centre, 1st Floor, Ridings Building – Chapel, Prayer Room, Ablutions, Quiet Room and Office.
Pinderfields Hospital, Multi-Faith Centre, Gate 35, Floor D – open 24 hours a day provides a Chapel, Prayer Room, Ablutions, Vestry and Chaplain's Office.
Pontefract Hospital, Multi-Faith Centre, Floor C – Chapel, Prayer Room, Ablutions.
Monday lunchtime Healthcare Christian Fellowship
12.00pm for a 12.30pm start, for everyone of all (or no) Christian traditions, at Dewsbury and District Hospital’s Multi Faith Centre’s Quiet Room.
8.15am - Morning Prayer at Pinderfields Hospital Chapel, Gate 35, Floor D.
12.30pm - Wednesdays at Pinderfields Hospital Chapel, Multi-Faith Centre.
12.30pm - Thursdays at Dewsbury and District Hospital’s Faith Centre Chapel.
Muslim ‘Friday Prayer’
1.00-1.30 Dewsbury Faith Centre
1.00-1.30 Pinderfields Multi Faith Centre
The Chapels at Pinderfields Hospital and Pontefract Hospital are open 24 hours a day. Dewsbury and District Hospital Faith Centre is open from approximately 7.30am-10.00pm.
Chaplaincy space is available for private prayer, meditation and calming and Chaplains are available on the wards, in the corridors, via telephone and via pager 24 hours a day. To page a chaplain please contact switchboard on 0844 811 8110.
Dewsbury and District Hospital
Telephone: 01924 816255
Telephone: 01924 542567
Telephone numbers as above.
In emergencies please contact Switchboard who will page the appropriate Chaplain.
We have three Muslim Chaplains within the Trust, at least one of whom will be available every day to provide person-centred care in the wards and departments. They are Maemuna Bhana, who attends to the spiritual and religious needs of female Muslims patients and visitors across the Trust, Moulana Ilyas Dalal and Moulana Aslam Seedat.
To assist in our provision of care to and for the Muslim community, we have two Imams who lead Friday prayers at Dewsbury and District and Pinderfields Hospitals.
We also have part-time Roman Catholic Chaplains at each of our sites and chaplaincy volunteer ward visitors.