About us Header
Who we are
Around half a million people living in the Wakefield and North Kirklees districts of West Yorkshire use our services in our three main hospitals – Pinderfields in Wakefield, Dewsbury and District Hospital and Pontefract - and in the community as well. People also travel from other areas to use our services as part of patient choice.
When our Trust was established in April 2002, we provided mainly hospital services but in 2010 we also started providing community therapy services and intermediate care services. These services provide short-term specialist care to people who have been discharged from hospital but need extra support, care and rehabilitation before they go home.
In April 2011, we expanded to provide community health services for the Wakefield district to include Adult Community Nursing and Children’s and Families’ Health.
Our services are provided from three hospital sites and in a range of community settings such as health centres, clinics, GP surgeries, family centres and in people’s own homes. We have an annual income of more than £455m and employ nearly 8,000 staff.
Our core values – Caring, High Standards, Improving and Respect - were determined following feedback from our patients, staff and partner organisations and are:
- Caring - ensuring quality of care is at the heart of everything we do
- High standards – taking responsibility for providing the best services and patient experience
- Improving – we always look for ways to improve what we do. We encourage involvement, value contributions and listen to and positively act on feedback
- Respect – showing value and respect for everyone and treating others as we would wish to be treated.
“The importance of these core values is that they should guide how our staff interact with each other and with our patients and their loved ones. They should also be what the Trust stands for to local people.” Jules Preston MBE, Chairman.
Key facts & figures about the Trust:
In 2015/16 …
- We saw over 90,000 inpatients
- Over 200,000 people attended our emergency departments
- We saw almost 50,000 people in our outpatients departments
- Our maternity teams delivered over 6000 babies.